Interested in joining HWRacing?
We’re challenging you to design a jack to be used to prop up and roll our next car: HWR-07.
The jack must be:
- Capable of supporting the car’s weight. (300kg).
- Able to raise the car a minimum of 200mm above the ground.
- Able to attach onto a round 25.4mm outer diameter steel tube, used to prop the rear of the car up.
- Capable of pushing the car forward by attaching onto the main roll hoop of the car. The main roll hoop has a radius of 165mm and tube diameter of 25.4mm.
- Hold the fire extinguisher (CAD file provided)
You should submit your design with:
- Your jack’s CAD files in either STEP or Autodesk Inventor 2016 or previous (.ipt/.iam) file formats.
- A technical drawing of your jack in PDF format.
- A poster detailing the design features of your jack, and a rendering with Fire Extinguisher in PDF format.
The deadline for submission is 17:00 on Friday 30th September 2016.
The winner and runners up will be contacted via email by Friday 7th October.
HWRacing will be at Heriot Watt’s Freshers Fair at the Edinburgh campus on Wednesday 7th September. We’ll be around between 12 and 4pm, with our latest car HWR-06 outside the Union. Members of the team will be around to answer your questions about our latest competition. Feel free to come along and have a chat with us, we’ll never pass up the chance to talk about the car!
After an entire year of planning, design, manufacture, assembling and testing, HWRacing made the journey own to Silverstone on July 14th to compete in the UK Formula Student Competition. Along with 107 other universities, HWRacing competed in both dynamic and static events which all culminated in a final placing based on a points system.
The aim for the team was to complete all dynamic events, in which we succeeded for the first time in the team’s history. The results for the team are the following:
Skid Pad: 47th
Business Presentation: 88th
Overall Position: 54th
15th in the UK
The fastest Formula Student team in Scotland
After the most successful year in Heriot Watt Racing’s history, we must reflect on our entire year as a team and therefore must thank all of our sponsors and backers for their invaluable support over the last year. The support involving materials, expertise and finances from an eclectic mix of companies and manufacturers shows how passionate local and national businesses are about motorsport, especially at Formula Student level.
Their support will see the team build on a fantastic year and progress into a new era of knowledge and experience that will only see the team grow and grow in confidence and ability. So the least we can do as a team is say thank you and we hope that the team’s performance this year will convince you to continue your support of HWRacing into the future.
To see a full list of our current sponsors, click here.
HWRacing would like to thank Sharkey Group for their kind donation towards the team’s efforts at FSUK 2016. Their financial aid helped the team afford all the essentials for the competition at Silverstone a fortnight ago and we hope to further this sponsorship in future.
To find out more about Sharkey Group, click here.